Thursday, February 10, 2011

For the win

What's your idea of success? Is it getting lots of money? Is it having everyone know your name? For me I would take the latter with a side of the first. Money is important to me, but it doesn't get me like fame does. I would much rather have everyone know who I am than have all the money in the world. There's something about attention that makes me thrive and I actually enjoy the idea of working hard for money, earning it instead of just wishing it there. But fame, oh boy, it rocks my socks and it's how I measure whether or not my life is successful

It doesn't matter what your idea of success is, as long as you have one, you can relate. I think this idea that money, or fame, as being indicative of success or failure is a part of American culture, but it's also a part of humanity. Money and fame both have numbers attached; how much did you make? How many people follow you on twitter? Answer: a number we may or may not be proud of.

But how does God measure success? Numerically? Taylor, you were obedient 10 out of 12 times today, that's pretty good! Taylor, you only prayed one time today, and you were falling asleep so just be happy I'm not counting it as half a prayer. Of course not, my success with God is not a number, it can't be measured by scales, or calculators. It can't be measured.

I'm not going to try and talk about what is success to God. Because you can find that in your Bible and honestly, whatever I try to do to be successful, I will always come up short. Perfection is always something to reach for but never attained. Not without Jesus. So I guess God does use numbers. One son to save the whole world. Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment